Over the weekend a group of year 12 students took to the fine countryside of Pateley Bridge for their Expedition section of the award. Trekking the Nidderdale way, the girls made great time and reached camp before the wet and windy weather set in. After 10 miles of walking a much needed hot meal was required. In no time at all every one was fed and set up for a cosy night in a warm tent. The rain and wind throughout the night did not perturb the students and all are now looking forward to the assessment in June.
Sponsorship needed for Duke of Edinburgh - Gold Award Challenge
Could you support our students by helping to fund their outdoor waterbased adventurous activities?
St. Bede’s & St. Joseph’s Catholic College, Heaton, Bradford have 10 students who are taking the Gold Award DofE award over the next 12 months, part of their challenge is to achieve the following:
- Volunteering: 12 months (With the National Trust – for the City & Guilds, Level 1 in Practical Horticulture).
- Physical: 12 months (Northern Sail Trianing - Sea Survival Skills Certificate).
- Skills: 12 months (Sailing Skills with Maybe Sailing – Nautical Theoretical & Practical Studies).
- Expedition: (Glenridding Sailing Centre, Lake Ullswater) Practice 2 day/1 night; Assessment 4 days/3 nights.
- Residential: 5 days/4 nights on the tall ship – The Maybe – sailing from Gosport to Blythe to deliver the ship to the start of the 2016 Tall Ships Race.
This is a self funded adventure and the cost is in the region of £1,000 per student. The students are going to raise all the money themselves through sponsorship and part time work. Students will also complete two sponsored events to raise funds to pay for the various stages in their Gold DofE Award journey. The team of students includes boys and girls, supervised by a male and a female teacher.
To support their fund raising the students and staff would like your support to help them achieve their goal. By self-funding their activities the students will be learning important teamwork, communication and leadership skills and will have to commit their own time and energy as they strive to achieve their Gold DofE Award.
If you can support our students, by making a donation to help fund their character building project you will be contributing directly to their wellbeing in a positive and supportive way.
Please contact Mr Tony Walker either by email at firstname.lastname@example.org (school email) or by telephone: 07 545 485 364 where you can leave a message.
Mr. A. J. Walker (Tony)